ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is looking for someone to develop our city to business collaboration work across Europe to accelerate and scale-up sustainable transformation.
ICLEI is a global network of more than 2500 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in over 125 countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. At the European Secretariat, we have a team of over 100 people from over 20 countries representing different backgrounds, knowledge and experience. ICLEI’s European Secretariat, is based in Freiburg, Germany with offices in Brussels and Berlin.
ICLEI is one of Europe’s leading organisations supporting cities to implement sustainable urban development. Urban infrastructure transformation is needed to achieve a resource efficient, low-carbon and socially responsible society. This requires cities and businesses to work together in creative and innovative ways. We support implementation, raise awareness, develop new tools and approaches, facilitate the replication of innovative solutions and transformation, and engage in policy developments at the European and international level.
We offer a friendly work environment, flexible working hours, international travel and training opportunities as well as a supportive approach to development. ICLEI is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment and is a family friendly certified organisation with equal opportunities. We also strive to provide a good work-life balance.
What You're Gonna Do
- Implement projects and services that aim to:
- Create a space for cities (buyers) and business (suppliers) to build a shared
understanding of how to address innovation and sustainability.
- Accelerate and scale-up sustainable transformation by stimulating and delivering
initiatives, products and services which implement cities’ climate and sustainability
- Accelerate the market introduction of innovative, circular and sustainable technologies
- Support dialogue and engagement between cities and business through practical
mechanisms such as questionnaires, one-to-one talks, matchmaking sessions,
roundtables, world cafés, and supplier pitch slams etc.
- Deepen ICLEI’s experience, knowledge and portfolio of activities in relation to city to
- Strengthen and develop opportunities with other key European initiatives to ensure
beneficial collaboration activities and best practice exchange.
-Carry out a variety of project-specific tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Writing briefing documents, guidance, reports and case studies;
- Organising workshops, meetings and events;
- Undertaking research;
- Managing relationships with partner organisations;
- Supporting communications and outreach work.
- Represent ICLEI at events, and help develop strategic relationships with relevant external
organisations on the topic of city to business collaboration.
- Identify funding opportunities and write project proposals.
- Collaborate with other teams requiring city to business collaboration knowledge and
support to ensure activities are well-coordinated.
- A degree in a relevant subject such as Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences, Economics, Planning, or any other relevant fields.
- Ideally 3 years of working experience.
- In the public, government, private or non-profit sector in city to business collaboration.
- Experience of organising city to business workshops, meetings and events.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of external organisations.
- Ability to be well organised, prioritise tasks and produce good quality work within tight
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- A very good command of English (reading, writing and speaking).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, e.g. drafting reports and
- Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience of the topic of smart cities and the relevance and influence of local and
regional governments in developing smart cities.
- Experience working directly with local and regional governments, in the field of smart
city / sustainable technologies.
- Experience of public procurement processes, including pre-procurement, and market
- Additional European language(s).
- Experience of working on international and European projects within a structured
delivery and reporting framework.
What We Offer
- Limited 2 year contract with a view to extending.
- Corridor contract 80-100% with a gross salary according to Project Officer in ICLEI’s
salary grid (indicative: EUR 50.400 to 52.800 per annum for 100%).
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany (our preference) or ICLEI
Brussels representation office, Belgium, subject to negotiation.
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum.
- Working language: English.
- Readiness for frequent international travel.
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence
permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Deadline for application: 15 July 2022
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.