WRI's mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
About the Role
This role provides the opportunity to partner with and learn from sustainable mobility and urban development experts, and key stakeholders around the world. In this role, you will provide administrative, project coordination and research support to ongoing sustainable transport programs in Kampala related to road safety, urban development and planning, public transport, non-motorized transport and urban design. Your range of responsibilities include organization of events, workshops, staff visits, and external meetings, as well as research or project support as needed and as time permits.
What You're Gonna Do
- Support coordination of activities of the Cities program at WRI Africa including support to the cities program manager and cities project manager on implementation of the annual work plan
- Organize internal and external conferences, meetings, events and other activities related to sustainable mobility, road safety and innovative mobility solutions
- Liaise with WRI staff globally to support the Cities program in Africa and particularly Kampala
- Support the WRI Africa operations on work related to the Cities program in Africa, including reporting, budgeting, and as needed with the global and other country offices
- Help coordinate visits of international staff to Kampala and other travel activity of partners
- Process and execute project commitments through contracts, purchase orders etc
Research & Knowledge
- Provide technical support on projects related to road safety and innovative mobility solutions to city governments, local partners including academic institutions and non-governmental organizations, and community groups
- Conduct research on public transport mapping, sustainable and innovative mobility solutions, and road safety issues related to projects of WRI Africa
- Identify tools and applications that would be useful for transport planning and development of innovative mobility solutions that improve overall mobility and find potential links with local universities or other organizations
- Support WRI Africa Cities program activities, particularly in select African cities on sustainable urban mobility, road safety, accessibility, public transport and paratransit network mapping, integrated transport planning and climate-friendly urban mobility policies
- Provide content for WRI communications activities, including blogs, newsletters and the WRI Africa website
- Support development of reports to city governments, funders and others on WRI activities
- Prepare presentations and written and graphic content to presentations and reports
Grants and Financial Management
- Coordinate project funding and budgets, support for draft grant proposals
- Prepare and send donor and project/grant status reports
- Bachelor’s degree in transport planning/engineering, or urban/regional planning or design with a focus on transportation
- Minimum of 2 years of full-time relevant work experience; nonprofit preferred
- Demonstrable previous experience or research and enthusiasm regarding sustainable urban mobility – urban public transport and innovation, road safety, non-motorized transport or sustainable cities
- Understanding of institutions and government agencies in Kampala, Uganda and the larger African region. Local and/or regional experience working with or in the Government is desirable
- Experience managing events
- Full fluency in English; fluency in Luganda or other local dialect is desirable
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, juggle multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines
- Experience with GIS or other mapping software
- Detail-oriented, organized and independent thinker
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, results oriented nonprofit environment.
Candidates must be able to legally work in Uganda. This role is based remotely.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.