Better Block Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that educates, equips, and empowers communities and their leaders to reshape and reactivate built environments to promote the growth of healthy and vibrant neighborhoods.
WHY WORK AT THE BETTER BLOCK?
Because we’re making a difference. We’re not your typical office. We sit at a desk made with our CNC Router, and spend half our time dreaming up ways to work alongside neighbors to bring their dreams to life. We get to travel to communities and meet with the activists who are working for a better tomorrow. And we love ideas. We work hard, but the payoff is worth it.
About the Role
The Landscape Architect/Designer should understand and embrace this mission, and have a genuine passion for urban innovation and working with communities.
We believe beautiful design can change the world. We are seeking someone who not only holds the same belief but has also demonstrated their ability to bring it to fruition.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Landscape Architect/Designer will work on both site plans and construction plans. We are seeking a person who has a background in architecture, engineering, sculpture, furniture design, and/or graphic design. Any experience in digital fabrication is a plus.
The Landscape Architect/Designer will also travel to project sites to help implement many of the elements they design. Projects take place in cities across the U.S., so the position includes frequent travel and work on nights and weekends during project implementation.
This person should also have a heart for communities and teaching—both in the workshop and on project sites with volunteers.
Better Block projects are temporary, block-level interventions that demonstrate a series of rapid prototypes. We work with the community, using their tools, knowledge, and resources to revitalize neighborhoods. We often add bike lanes with temporary paint, use fabrication and manual processes to construct furniture from plywood, dimensional lumber, and other materials, and activate the space by coordinating markets. Thus, the role is physically demanding, often requiring moving heavy objects and climbing ladders.
This is a full-time position based in Dallas, Texas.
What You're Gonna Do
- Provide technical assistance and support to see tactical urbanism projects to fruition.
- Oversee fabrication arm of Better Block, including workshop, volunteers, and contractors.
- Create site-specific landscape design for projects and prepare plans, details, and reports for
- Ability to produce construction drawings for a wide variety of projects under quick deadlines.
- Onsite management of logistics and volunteer workshops during Better Block implementation
- Working knowledge of CNC routing fabrication processes, woodworking, metalworking,
and laser cutting.
- Strong understanding of materials and methods of construction.
- 2-4 years of experience.
- The Landscape Architect/Designer should be passionate about new urbanism and willing to
swing a hammer, get paint on their clothing, answer volunteers’ questions, etc. This position is
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited Landscape Architecture or Urban Planning
- Demonstrated experience in design skills and freehand graphics and sketching.
- Flexibility with work schedule and day-to-day tasks, as they may change as projects evolve.
- Ability to work independently without much direction, and to make decisions based on Better
Block principles and project guidelines.
- Ability to work in a team, delegate tasks, and hold team members accountable for these
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Design skills (Revit, Adobe Suite, AutoCAD, Sketch Up, VCarve).
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25 percent.
- Ability to work in a startup atmosphere where projects must be executed from the ground up.
What We Offer
To apply, email Krista@betterblock.org with your résumé, cover letter, and portfolio. No phone calls, please.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.