About the Programme
How to make − and keep − the world’s modern cities healthy and attractive for the increasing multitudes living and working there? How to ensure that cities are sufficiently compact, sustainable, inclusive, competitive, and resilient? Realising these objectives requires a keen understanding of dynamic urban processes. In gaining such understanding geo-information science and technology constitute an indispensable source of information. Which is the very foundation for ITC’s specialization in Urban Planning and Management.
Mind you, this specialization is not only about acquiring geo-information knowledge and skills. On the contrary − you will be constantly challenged to apply what you have learned to current themes such as urban poverty, transport, climate change adaptation, disaster preparedness, and environmental planning. For your MSc research you’ll have the option of joining forces with dedicated ITC research group PLUS.
As a graduate you will be more than eligible for positions in advisory, operational, technical and executive functions related to urban and regional planning.
Applicants for the Master’s Programme Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (MSc) should have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university in a discipline related to the course*, preferably combined with working experience in a relevant field.
The following average scores apply to the Master’s programme:
- A 3.0 or higher Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) on a 4.0 scale, orUpper Second Class standing or higher
NOTE: a Lower Second Class standing may be accepted based on evidence of relevant professional experience and/or other further academic development.
The faculty accepts transcripts, degrees, and diplomas in the following languages: Dutch, English, German, French, and Spanish. It is at the discretion of the faculty to require additional English translations of all documents in other languages as well.
English language (minimum) requirements
- British Council / IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum sub-score of 6.0 for speaking and writing)
- TOEFL Paper-based Test (PBT) 550
- TOEFL: Internet-based 80 (with a minimum sub-score of 20 for speaking)
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency / C1 Advanced
- If you are a national of one of the countries in this list (PDF), you are exempted from an English language test. Please note the requirements when applying for fellowships may vary according to the regulations of the fellowship provider.
Online English tests during COVID-19 for academic year 2020-2021 and academic year 2021-2022
We acknowledge the difficulties experienced worldwide in taking the compulsory language test, due to the Covid-19 situation. An alternative English test can be:
- the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test (valid for the September 2020 and February 2021 intake) an online test, available everywhere that TOEFL iBT testing is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran,
- the TOEFL iBT Home Edition test (valid for the September 2020, February 2021, September 2021 and February 2022 intake),
- or the TOEFL ITP Plus for China.
Please note that other online English language tests (i.e. IELTS Indicator test, Cambridge online test, etc.) will not be accepted(!)
You are expected to be familiar with basic computer skills. Basic knowledge of and skills in working with GIS and spatial data is strongly recommended.
When you study in an ITC programme with a duration of nine months or longer (Master’s and Postgraduate diploma programmes), you should have a notebook computer that meets ITC's technical notebook requirements.
If you do not own a notebook that meets the minimum requirements you could consider buying one through our Notebook Project. The Notebook Project offers discounted notebooks that meet our standards and have the peripherals needed to connect to the ITC networks.
Technical requirements online education and assessment
For online education, we formulated guidelines to guarantee optimal performance. For online oral exams and proctoring during online assessments, the webcam and headset requirements need to be met.
High tech, human touch. That is the University of Twente. Some 3,300 scientists and other professionals working together on cutting-edge research, innovations with real-world relevance and inspiring education for more than 9,000 students. The enterprising university encourages students to develop an entrepreneurial spirit.
A scholarship is available, click "Register" to find out more.