We are an international, integrated consultancy of engineers, consultants and advisers. Operating in 26 locations worldwide, with 55 partners and over 1,900 employees; for over 40 years we have built a world-class reputation for delivering creative, value led solutions for an ever challenging world.
About the Role
From helping shape entire cities to tackling the challenge of climate action, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our work and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Operating in 25 locations worldwide with over 1,900 employees; for over 40 years we are a world-class global practice of engineers, consultants, and advisers.
Our Energy team specialises in energy system policy, planning, design and delivery at campus, city, and regional scales, working from concept strategy through to detailed design and delivery. We aim to deliver value for our clients using distributed energy to resolve energy security, costs, and sustainability challenges.
We are looking for a senior person to lead our work in the emerging field of local energy planning, building on our strong track record and taking ownership of developing and growing this service, winning new commissions, and delivering excellent outcomes for our clients
What You're Gonna Do
- Leading our energy and carbon planning offer in the UK market and supporting our teams in the US, UK, Middle East and SE Asia.
- Forming part of the Energy Consulting leadership team in client and stakeholder relationships.
- Development of customer acquisition and work winning plan and delivering against this.
- Preparation of collateral material and proposals.
- Overseeing development of tools, models, and analytical approaches.
- Degree level qualification, or equivalent, with emphasis on physical science or engineering background.
- Strong energy and carbon planning skills, including a track record of successful project delivery for a range of client types.
- Ability to apply systems approach to complex problems in the energy and built environment sectors.
- Network of contacts within client organisations who commission energy planning work.
- Knowledge and experience of energy system modelling including techno-economic modelling of energy systems, as well as a strong understanding of energy policy within the UK and specifically in the built environment.
- Ability to determine client requirements, deploy various resources to meet these, preparing proposals for clients and development of client propositions.
- Experience of working as a consultant, and leading consulting engagements direct to client, demonstrating capability of to manage time effectively across multiple projects including project and programme management skills, and experience liaising with stakeholders including organising and leading workshops.
- Strong numerical analysis and modelling skills and Excel analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate technical subjects to technical and non-technical audiences; confidence in presenting to external audiences.
- Strong problem-solving skills coupled with the ability to remain calm when working to tight deadlines.
Desirable skills and experience:
- An advanced degree or research background in energy systems or similar.
- Client-side experience.
- Business case development including familiarity with commonly used public sector business case approaches such as the Treasury ‘Five cases’ model.
- Understanding of the market and supply chain for energy systems including power/smart grid, district energy, electrical vehicles, storage and renewables in the UK and other jurisdictions.
- Strong understanding of the revenue models and costs associated with energy systems.
- Hydrogen economy knowledge,
- Experience of developing evidence-based policy,
- International experience including working in US, Germany, South East Asia or Middle East,
- Experience of energy system design such as district heating, power generation, CHP and renewables
This role is part of our Energy Consultancy team and offers energy and carbon planning services to a diverse range of clients such as national, regional, and local government, campus and private network owner operators and utilities organisations across the globe.
What We Offer
Send your application to Buro Happold and take the first step on a journey to fulfilling your potential.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.