Founded in 2010, NewCities is an international, independent nonprofit committed to shaping a better urban future.
About the Role
Are you an inspired city enthusiast looking for a new challenge? NewCities is an urban think tank and non-profit with an impressive and unique network across all sectors. We are looking for our next Executive Director: a creative, motivated, successful individual to help us chart our path forward post-COVID.
The Executive Director will lead and expand our network and activities globally and in Québec, together with managing a great team of 8 professionals. Reporting to the Chairman and NewCities’ Board of Directors, the Executive Director will manage and contribute to the growth of NewCities, to oversee and shape all aspects of NewCities’ operations, such as strategic planning, fundraising and memberships, programs, advancement and administration of the organization.The person we are looking for is a leader, an inspiring manager and a proven communicator. She/he/they has significant international experience, the skills and experience needed to manage a growing organization and to build and maintain key relationships with diverse interlocutors.The position will be based in Montréal.
What You're Gonna Do
1. Mission and Strategy. Define and implement NewCities’ strategy, working closely with the Chairman and the team:
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure the growth of NewCities in the months and years ahead
- Develop new initiatives, concepts, and formats of strategic interest to current members and partners, and attractive to potential prospects
- Refine and improve NewCities business model with the NewCities team
- Liaise with the Board of Trustees of NewCities and ensure their involvements in strategic projects and fundraising efforts
- Responsible for the enhancement of NewCities’ image by being active and visible in the global urban community
- Act as an official representative of NewCities at strategic external gatherings
2. Fundraising and Financial Viability. Ensure the financial wellbeing of NewCities by:
- Develop annual revenue forecasts and devise objectives that fit within annual financial needs
- Seek new business opportunities and develop and maintain relationships strategic to new projects
- Lead NewCities’ revenue generation and fundraising efforts (membership, sponsorships, and other sources of revenue):
◦ Develop the fundraising strategy with the right tools and contacts to attract new sources of funding from corporate, philanthropic, individual and public sources, to reach the Foundation’s growth objectives
◦ Oversee relations with existing NewCities members and partners to address needs, ensure their satisfaction, and secure membership renewals
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- Coordinate with accounting regarding the team payroll and books updates.
3. Programs and Team Management
- Work closely with the team to ensure the success of all initiatives
- Be an inspiring manager to the team and advise them on the initiatives design and implementation
- Review team assets and determine employee roles to best serve organization strategy, adapting as necessary
- Review and oversee relationship with Board of Trustees
- Oversee all departments (Communications, Events/Programs, and Research) to ensure the successful implementation of work/alignment with overall strategy
- Oversee post-pandemic logistics including defining work environment going forward (for example, NewCities does not have an office space - so options such as coworking space, remote work, hybrid)
- Responsible for motivating the team and for defining hiring priorities
- 10 years' work experience including 5 years’ in a top management position in international and/or nonprofit and/or governmental organizations, international development & fundraising, strategic planning, program management, research, local politics
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic message and goals to staff, board, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Experience in team management and leadership
- Successful track record improving financial results of a non-profit organization including generating new revenue streams from across sectors (private, federal, provincial & municipal, philanthropic).
- Demonstrated ability to build a network and maintain sound relationships with representatives from public and private sectors at the local and international level
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and negotiating.
- Financial management skills: to coordinate the books and payroll with the external accounting firm, and to prepare and analyze the budget, and cashflow.
- Experience in urban affairs, or public affairs or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent communicator with unparalleled ease on stage with a global audience
- Dynamic, inspiring, proactive, creative, flexible
- Fluency in English mandatory. Professional French would also be key for the success of this role
What We Offer
- Salary range 120,000-140,000 CAD
- Permanent employment contract in Canada (If needed, NewCities to coordinate the work permit procedure for the employee and his/her/their family)
- 5 weeks of paid vacationAccess to NewCities’ health and dental insurance
- Work with a great, creative, and motivated international team!
Aimed start date: Summer 2021 Please send a CV and a detailed cover letter or email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Executive Director’ in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they come in. We look forward to meeting you!
This job is available for international candidates.