Founded in 1988 by Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos, UNStudio specialises in creating ground-breaking architecture and design at all scales, from bridges to public buildings, offices, residences, exhibitions, products and urban masterplans. The name UNStudio stands for United Network Studio and refers to the collaborative nature of the practice.
Throughout 30 years of international project experience, UNStudio has expanded its capabilities through collaboration with an extended network of international consultants, partners and advisors. This network, combined with our centrally located offices in Amsterdam, Shanghai and Hong Kong, enables us to work efficiently anywhere in the world. With over 120 completed projects in Asia, Europe and North America, the studio continues to expand its global presence with recent commissions in the United Arab Emirates, China, South Korea, Italy, Germany and the United States, among other countries.
About the Role
Our Urban Unit is expanding! We're looking for a talented Junior Urban Designer to join our team in Amsterdam. Dutch language is a plus!
What You're Gonna Do
UNStudio's Urban Unit leads masterplan projects and also helps support the various project teams. We engage in research, analysis and design and work across scales and geographies. We currently concentrate on mobility projects, Transit Oriented Developments and retail and leisure facilities. The designer will be expected to understand design/masterplan processes and to be able to conduct research into relevant urban design and planning topics. Communication skills are essential as well as design experience.
- Master’s degree in a design discipline (Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture);
- 1-2 years of post- master experience in a design discipline (Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture)
- Understanding of various urban systems and ability to coordinate disciplines including transportation, landscaping, environmental engineering, technology and social integration;
- Understanding of land use programming, building, open space and planning typologies;
- Exhibit a stellar design approach and talent
- We are looking for a strong designer who can bridge the urban scale with an architectural representation;
- Exhibit affinity with UNStudio’s design philosophy and approach to projects;
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility;
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach;
- Able to work as part of an effective team assisting and supporting team members;
- Proficiency in 3D and 2D software (Rhino, AutoCAD, Adobe Suite, PowerPoint, Microsoft package. GIS knowledge is a plus);
- Fluent English and Dutch communication skills.
We look forward to receiving your C.V./resume + portfolio + short motivation letter
What We Offer
The atmosphere in our office is informal, international, multidisciplinary, highly ambitious and very dynamic, but also friendly with a focus on personal and professional development. The average age of our employees is 34 years and our employee base is made up of about 30 different nationalities. Almost all employees have an academic background. For our Urban Design department we are looking for a Designer with experience in urban scales.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.