Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
About the Role
A great opportunity exists for an ambitious, bright and well-organized individual to work on the Policy and Communications team at Sidewalk Toronto. In this role you’ll be responsible for supporting the Directors and Head of Policy and Communications in shaping policies, communications strategies, government relations, and public engagement work critical to the success of Sidewalk Toronto.
This role is based in Toronto and will be expected to collaborate closely with members of other teams and senior leadership at Sidewalk Labs.
What You're Gonna Do
- Develop a deep working knowledge of the various work streams related to Sidewalk Toronto such as mobility, sustainability, affordability, development, privacy and data and community services and develop a system to track the work of each pillar.
- Support the work of the Policy and Communications team, including policy development, communications strategies, government relations, and public engagement.
- Produce written work product, including policy analyses, legislative proposals, public presentations, press releases and op-eds.
- Task and manage outside consultants and attorneys, as necessary, for inputs on Sidewalk Toronto’s policy and program agenda.
- Support the Policy and Communications team as required on the execution of programs and events.
This is a chance to apply your deep knowledge, skills and thinking to cutting edge urban development and technology issues. You possess the ability to grasp complex technical, regulatory and policy issues and are able to synthesize, organize and communicate them clearly to diverse audiences.
You are a utility player, highly organized and comfortable working cross-functionally tackling fast-moving and constantly changing issues. This role requires significant experience either working in government, politics, urban planning or a regulatory agency in Canada. Ideal candidates will be enthusiastic team players, eager to shape the future of Sidewalk Toronto. We expect all candidates to exhibit:
- A demonstrated commitment to cities and interest in urban innovation.
- Strong project management skills.
- Extremely strong written, verbal and presentation skills with a proven ability to produce high quality materials in a variety of formats.
- Deep attention to details, organization systems and the ability to take projects over the finish line.
- A entrepreneurial, self-starter, with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive as a member of a small team in a fast moving environment.
- Deep familiarity and experience with urban policy issues such as sustainability, affordability, mobility, community and social services and infrastructure
- Strong ability to think, plan and execute with minimal direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex policy issues into an understandable language for a broad range of audiences
- Strong communicator with strong interpersonal skills for both internal and external audiences
- Between 5-15 years of experience in a combination of development, urban planning, politics, government or a government agency.
This job is available for international candidates.