Founded in 2010, NewCities is an international, independent nonprofit committed to shaping a better urban future.
About the Role
NewCities is seeking a communications specialist passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal for a 3 month assignment. The successful candidate will lead corporate communication activities, working directly with NewCities members including Cisco, CITI, ENGIE and Transdev. S/he will also join the team working on an exciting upcoming high profile co-creation project for a prominent city public space which includes a three-day event in February.
Reporting to the Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager, s/he will work closely with communication colleagues as well as the wider NewCities team. This is a fantastic opportunity for a junior communications professional to work in a dynamic team and across multiple communication disciplines, including social media, public relations, marketing, event and corporate communications. This role will provide opportunities to learn about co-design techniques and of urban innovations from around the world.
What You're Gonna Do
- Curating inspiring, intelligent and engaging social media content on the NewCities Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
- Managing the NewCities thought leadership editorial: the Big Picture, including working with partners to agree angles, identifying and working with contributors and working with the digital team to publish and promote the editorials.
- Ongoing media monitoring including weekly summary reports.
- Collecting and curating relevant content for the fortnightly NewCities newsletters.
- Preparing marketing and event material in both French and English (copywriting, contributing to design, and dissemination)
- Assisting in the preparation and dissemination of press material in both French and English (copywriting, identifying journalists, disseminating)
- Producing event briefs including photography and videography briefs
- Managing on-site event digital media communications (social media and a live blog)
- Working in collaboration, and managing the relationship with regard to communication matters, with key project stakeholders.
- Providing ongoing communications advice to the Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager.
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent professional experience.
- Highly accomplished writing skills in both French and English. Unfortunately only candidates who can work in both French and English will be considered.
- Strong experience in developing, implementing and evaluating social media campaigns.
- Experience of producing creative, yet practical, communications material within agreed timeframes and to effectively achieve agreed objectives.
- Action oriented with good initiative and strong organization skills with high attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability work at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work at all levels of an organisation and influence beyond line management boundaries.
- A working knowledge of desktop publishing packages, such as Photoshop and InDesign (desirable).
- Availability in early January until April 2019. A willingness to undertake some out of hours activities associated with the event aspects of the project.
- Open minded, an eagerness to learn, and an interest in urban design.
What We Offer
Hours per week: 37.5 (core office hours are 9.00am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday). Flexible working arrangements are negotiable. Some out of hours will be expected in relation to specific events.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Québec.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.