UNESCO - the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded on 16 November 1945. For this specialized United Nations agency, it is not enough to build classrooms in devastated countries or to publish scientific breakthroughs. Education, Social and Natural Science, Culture and Communication are the means to a far more ambitious goal : to build peace in the minds of womend and men.
About the Role
The Arab World Heritage Young Professionals Forum will be organized in December 2019,
within the framework of UNESCO/UNOCT project on the Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE)
through Youth Empowerment in Jordan, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia.
The Forum would aim to engage and empower youth in the Arab States region in their critical
roles as global citizens towards peace building through the protection and conservation of World
Heritage. It would incorporate the use of non-formal education tools including workshops, group
discussions, roundtables and possible site visits and hands-on activities, conducted by experts
The incumbent will work under the overall authority of the Chief of the Policy and Statutory
Meetings Unit at the World Heritage Centre and under the direct supervision of the Associate
Project Officer of the World Heritage Education Programme at the Policy and Statutory Meetings
Unit. The incumbent will be in charge of facilitating the smooth organization and implementation
of the Forum, assuming the tasks described below
What You're Gonna Do
- Conceptualize, develop and draft a concept note for the Forum with particular focus on peace building, PVE and World Heritage, and prepare the subsequent project implementation plan with a specific timeline;
- Conceptualize and develop the programme of the Forum, design its curriculum and activities focusing on the theme of peacebuilding and PVE through the protection and conservation of World Heritage, and provide inputs on the use of the appropriate nonformal education tools;
- Identify appropriate resource persons specialized in peacebuilding and PVE related initiatives, in consultation with UNESCO. Collaborate with them to develop the contents and the Programme of the Forum further, and ensure its implementation;
- Liaise with the relevant project team and resource persons, in the planning and implementation of all project activities;
- Provide inputs of the qualification criteria for the participants to be selected;
- Provide inputs on peacebuilding and PVE for the communication and visibility plan, to support and advocate the project;
- Facilitate the implementation of the Forum in person.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in human or social sciences, heritage, education or relevant fields;
- At least 2-4 years of relevant professional experience with particular experience in handling peace-building projects and other PVE related initiatives;
- Experience in managing projects in the Arab States region is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills in English (French would be an asset);
- Knowledge of the World Heritage Convention will be a further asset.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.