Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
About the Role
The postdoc positions are for 1 year and will mainly involve research within the field of urban research. The postdocs will be involved in all aspects of the research process, including project planning, research design, empirical analysis, presentation of findings at conferences, and preparation of manuscripts for submission to leading peer-reviewed journals. The postdocs will spend up to 20 percent of their time on management and administration. The postdocs will actively participate in the activities of the Institute for Urban Research such as seminars and workshops.
The postdoctoral positions will be part of the FORMAS Strong Research Environment CRUSH – Critical Urban Sustainability Hub. Research plans should be in the spirit of CRUSH: the analysis of housing issues and urban renewal from a critical theory perspective (feminism, Marxism, postcolonialism, etcetera). You can find more information here: https://www.iuresearch.se/research/housing/crush/.
Candidates should have obtained a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of urban studies or any related field (for example geography, planning, political science, sociology, economics, architecture, history, design and other related disciplines). The PhD should be completed no more than three years before the last date for application.
This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended to be an initial career step, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers.
These are the assessment criteria:
- Quality and focus of the PhD dissertation
- Previous research activities within areas relevant for this position
- Proven ability to independently conduct good quality research
- A written account, reflecting your own pedagogical values and practice
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate with actors outside the university in relation to research and education
In addition, assessment criteria specifically for this position:
- Quality of the research and activities plan (originality, feasibility, outcomes)
- Experience with research grant applications
- Good ability to develop and conduct high quality research within the field of urban studies including ability to work independently, ability to display rigor in problem formulations and research plans, theoretical and methodological maturity
- Excellent communication skills in English in both speech and writing
- Proven ability to co-operate with colleagues in other disciplines
What We Offer
The position is a full-time, fixed-term employment for 1 year.
At Malmö University, individual salary negotiations apply.
Malmö University is a workplace characterised by an open and inclusive approach where equal treatment adds value to our activities.
Starting in the beginning of 2020.
This job is available for international candidates.