At Circle Economy, we believe it is time for a new economical approach: the circular economy. Circle Economy is a social enterprise and together with our members and partners we create industrial systems that are restorative by design by decoupling growth and resource needs.
We accelerate the transition towards a circular economy by providing insights in what a circular future might look like for a company, a region or even worldwide, and by coming up with scenarios for how to get there. Moreover, we provide a powerful network, tools and experience to the members of our cooperative to turn these scenarios into reality.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly motivated Dutch speaking intern to join Circle Economy’s Circle Cities team in Amsterdam. Circle Economy is a highly energised, cooperative social enterprise with a team from around the globe that develops practical and scalable tools and services that accelerate the transition to the circular economy. We are growing rapidly both in the Netherlands and internationally and want to share and engage, governments, cities, businesses and citizens in the work that we do: practical ways of addressing the great environmental and socio-economic issues of today. In order to achieve this, the Circle Cities Programme works in partnership with cities, mapping resource flows and circular innovations, and developing tools to aid city decision making in their transition to the circular economy.
Your role is to directly support the Cities team with the execution of the “Amsterdam City Portrait” project, an innovative project that adopts the principles of the Doughnut Economics model, developed by Kate Raworth, as a compass for cities to reimagine their future and develop strategies to get there. You will work together with the team on the project, conducting research, analysing data, designing workshops, preparing workshop materials, and delivering reports.
What You're Gonna Do
- Best practices for reducing overconsumption and creating systemic change (e.g.social currency, alternative banking)
- Review literature and desk research on drivers for consumption
- Review strategies, policies, targets, and existing initiatives in the pilot cities
- Review urban metrics/indicators that cities use to track progress beyond GDP
- Analyse social, environmental, and economic city data
- Analyse what drives consumption in cities
- Support the design development of workshop processes for city stakeholders, using the Doughnut Economics model as a tool for decision making
- Providing communications support in report writing
You are an independent Dutch speaking, self-starting Master's student or recent graduate in the field of Environmental Management and Policy, Sustainable Development, Urban Metabolism, Urban Planning, or Environmental Sciences. You are passionate about sustainability and would like to use your expertise to help cities transition to a circular economy. You have strong analytical skills and ability to tackle complex problems. You thrive in analysing complex relationships and tasks and like to see projects move from beginning to end. Your are looking for an inspiring learning environment to broaden your expertise in the application of the circular economy within cities.
As a Circle Cities intern, you:
- Are enrolled in a master’s programme, preferably in Sustainable Development, Energy Science, Industrial Ecology, Urban Metabolism, or Environmental Sciences;
- Have strong analytical skills;
- Have an interest in or affinity with sustainable development, and the principles of Circular Economy and Doughnut Economic model.
- Are a creative self-starter (proactive and independent);
- Are detail-oriented and thrive in executing complex relationships and tasks;
- Have an interest in innovations, new technologies, and new business models;
- Fluency in verbal and written communication in English and Dutch
What We Offer
A paid internship for a minimum of 4 days a week for a period of 4-6 months, but ideally in a full-time capacity, to start in September or October 2019. We offer a stipend of €400 per month for Master’s level based on full-time employment and can provide a travel stipend if necessary. We offer a challenge for a passionate person that loves to learn and take on responsibilities in a vibrant and talented team, in a pioneering organisation. The opportunity to grow an in-depth insight and knowledge on the topic of circular cities.
We are a young team of about 30 driven and ambitious professionals, sharing the belief that the circular economy creates prosperity for all. We work in a lively and dynamic atmosphere in our open office space right in the heart of Amsterdam. At Circle Economy, we have a culture of getting things done while having fun, and apart from friendly team dynamics, you can expect a drink in your hand every other Friday by 4pm.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.