WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities helps create accessible, equitable, healthy and resilient urban areas for people, businesses and the environment to thrive. Together with partners, it enables more connected, compact and coordinated cities. The Center expands the transport and urban development expertise of the EMBARQ network to catalyze innovative solutions in other sectors, including water, buildings, land use and energy. It combines the research excellence of WRI with 15 years of on-the-ground impact through a network of more than 250 experts working from Brazil, China, Ethiopia, India, Mexico and Turkey to make cities around the world better places to live.
About the Role
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being. The India Resources Trust has a license from WRI to use the trademark “WRI India”.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
What You're Gonna Do
Research & Knowledge Development
- Working on restoration and conservation of urban water bodies (drains, lakes, wetlands etc.) and related ecosystem.
- Researching on urban blue-green solutions/ Nature Based Solutions/ Eco-solutions.
- On-ground Site Surveys including primary (water sampling and analysis, water flow measurement, drainage network survey, source-pathway-receptor identification, hydrological and hydrogeological survey, biodiversity survey, community survey etc.) and secondary data collection, liaising with Government authorities and other stakeholders etc.
- Development of water body restoration action plan, detailed project report, water sensitive landscape plans etc.
- Technical support during implementation of urban blue-green solutions/ Nature Based Solutions/ Eco-solutions.
- Post implementation monitoring and evaluation of impact.
- Potential opportunity scouting, fund raising and proposal development for future restoration projects
- Handling, analyzing and visualizing research datasets
- Supporting other current and future urban water projects
- Helping to write up short blogs, project reports, research reports and any other relevant and appropriate deliverables
- Liaising with external partners and WRI colleagues across programs and countries
- Organizing internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and other consultation and dissemination activities
- Master’s Degree in Hydrology, Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Planning, Landscape Architecture or a related field
- Experience in implementation of urban blue-green solutions/ Nature Based Solutions/ Eco-solutions, restoration of water bodies, water sensitive landscape planning and implementation.
- International work experience (especially in the Kingdom of Netherlands or Scandinavian countries) and good cross-cultural and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in GIS, hydrologic modelling, indesign, acrobat pro and other design software
- Strong design thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong communications and liaising skills
- Willingness to engage with the team members in India and globally with a strong sense of respect for the team
- Excellent written skills with the ability to express complex concepts clearly and concisely
- Ability to work under demanding schedules and staying on-site for reasonably long period
- Attention to details and ability to analyse these details under pressure
- Willingness to travel for work to different states in India on a regular basis and on short notice
- Fluency in English and Hindi is a must
- Confidence and independence to take initiative, with the awareness and judgement to seek help when needed
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.