Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
About the Role
Project for Public Spaces is seeking a Senior Writer to become a core member of its marketing and communications team. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this role is responsible for managing and producing Project for Public Space’s editorial content, and providing writing, editing, and strategic support to the broader organization.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience of writing engaging, inspiring, and useful content about public space, urbanism, and community engagement, as well as excellent time-management and organization skills, and a collaborative, supportive personality.
What You're Gonna Do
- Work with the Director of Communications to actively manage the Project for Public Spaces blog and to pitch articles to other relevant media outlets.
- Regularly write and edit a variety of content types, including blog posts, newsletters, print publications, proposals, marketing materials, and educational products.
- Strategize and implement advocacy and thought leadership campaigns that help support and achieve our mission.
- Use SEO best practices to generate traffic for our website, and work with marketing staff to analyze and respond to performance metrics.
- Provide writing, editing, and strategy support to Project for Public Spaces program staff as needed.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- At least three years of professional writing and editing experience; experience in journalism or nonprofit marketing and communications preferred.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills across a variety of styles and formats (e.g. blog post, op-eds, reports, proposals).
- Capacity to produce compelling content quickly and consistently, while managing multiple deadlines (roughly one 1,000-word blog post per week, plus additional tasks).
- Balances creativity with strong organizational skills, and a reliable, proactive personality.
- Thrives in a collaborative, tight-knit office setting, and has a proven track record of working across departments to achieve organizational goals.
- Passion for the built environment, placemaking, public space, community engagement, landscape architecture, city planning—or a strong sense of curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Basic proficiency with photography and video production.
- Familiarity with online communications platforms, particularly Webflow, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, and social media management platforms like Sprout Social or Hootsuite.
What We Offer
This is a full-time, salaried position with a benefits package that includes full health coverage, employee contributed 403(b),and generous vacation and paid holidays. The salary is $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.