C40 connects more than 90 of the world’s greatest cities. It is focused on tackling climate change and driving urban action that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while increasing the health, wellbeing and economic opportunities of urban citizens.
About the Role
The C40 Communications and Events team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organizations by celebrating the ambitious, equitable action underway in C40 cities and establishing our mayors as global leaders and allies to the new climate movement. Through our global communications, campaigns and events, we aim to shift the narrative and inspire real progress on the greatest challenge humanity is facing today.
The Social Media Officer will play a key role within the Communications & Events Team, and is responsible for taking C40’s presence on social media and other digital platforms to the next level, further strengthening C40 as one of the leading voices in the global climate conversation, and connecting our organization with audiences around the world through existing and new platforms. This person will be responsible for developing, posting and promoting exciting and impactful content related to air quality and C40’s Air Quality Programme, under the narrative of C40’s ongoing #TheFutureWeWant campaign. Our ideal candidate is both creative and very detail-oriented, and brings to the table vision and a solid track record of delivering innovative and high-quality content for social and digital media.
What You're Gonna Do
Under the direction of C40’s Digital and Social Media Manager, the candidate will play a leading role in helping to increase the visibility of both C40 as an organization and our cities’ work around air quality, through the effective promotion of C40’s events, achievements and activities on social and digital media, helping to build a strong and engaged brand with an authoritative voice.
- Coordinate C40’s social media calendar, including drafting and scheduling content for delivery on social media across multiple platforms.
- Help to deliver our ongoing #TheFutureWeWant campaign, which promotes an inclusive, resilient, healthy and livable future for all people and the natural world.
- Lead on promoting the work done by C40’s Air Quality Programme on social media; liaise regularly with colleagues on the Air Quality Programme to mine great content and stories from cities taking action on this issue, and create a compelling and cohesive story to tell to our online audiences throughout the year.
- Promote the progress of the C40 Clean Air Cities Declaration to an international audience, and engage with partner organisations to help further
- Responsible for developing multimedia content and finding creative ways to highlight the mayors who have signed on to the Clean Air Cities Declaration
- Help to meet and exceed goals for traffic and audience growth, and community engagement.
- Ensure that C40’s voice across our digital channels is consistent and aligns with C40’s overall mission and the Communications & Events Strategy.
- Write creative and engaging content, keeping a close eye on accuracy and legibility, in order to share across different platforms to different audiences and build C40 as a trusted name.
- Create toolkits for cities, partners and key stakeholders to communicate about C40’s events, announcements and campaigns.
- Cultivate relationships with colleagues across C40, as well external partners, who are engaging in social media campaigns.
- Draft scripts and creative briefings for videos and other multimedia content for social media.
- Work collaboratively with the content and design teams, as well as external freelancers, to ensure the content is informative, exciting, and accurate.
- Work closely with the Digital and Social Media Manager to learn and eventually take on responsibility for our social media and digital marketing tools such as Hootsuite, Radarly, and Mailchimp.
- Undertake regular research and put together monthly reports on the latest best practices for social media, exciting new trends and opportunities to expand our brand to new audiences.
- Monitor community pages and participate in user discussions on digital platforms.
- Produce and disseminate mailings linked to events, key milestones and campaigns; assist the Digital and Social Media Manager to develop a more effective and engaging strategy for regular C40 mailings.
- Help maintain content on C40.org and associated microsites.
- Ad hoc administrative tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in English; Journalism; Marketing; Creative Writing; or other relevant field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Native English speaker; ability to speak other languages a plus.
- Proven experience in the development and production of creative and engaging social media content.
- A deep understanding of all social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, and willingness to learn how to deploy stories across various platforms; knowledge of and interest in the use of digital media by different audiences, particularly millennials and Gen Z.
- Knowledge of social media and digital marketing tools such as Hootsuite, Radarly, Mailchimp.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent IT skills -- capacity to learn how to use a content management system and digital platforms.
- Passion for environmental and climate issues; knowledge of global climate action an advantage.
- Excellent multitasking, organisational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working for a global organization across multiple time zones and cultures desirable.
- Basic knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign desirable.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Applicants must already have the right to work in the United Kingdom. The successful candidate will be required to travel and to work some evenings.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.