C40 connects more than 90 of the world’s greatest cities. It is focused on tackling climate change and driving urban action that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while increasing the health, wellbeing and economic opportunities of urban citizens.
About the Role
C40’s Global Initiatives team oversees five programme areas focused on priority climate action sectors and interventions: Energy and Buildings; Transportation and Planning; Waste, Water and Food; Air Quality; and Adaptation Implementation. Under these programmes, C40 operates more than 16 networks that facilitate city-to-city best practice sharing on a particular climate action area, such as Clean Energy or Zero Emission Vehicles, and support cities to deliver on the mayoral commitments made through C40’s Green & Healthy Streets, Net Zero Carbon Buildings, Advancing Towards Zero Waste, Good Food Cities and Clean Air Cities Declarations. A number of these Global Initiatives programmes and networks also provide technical assistance support to cities, often in conjunction with other C40 teams and programme.
C40 sectoral/thematic networks help cities replicate, improve and accelerate climate action to meet Paris Agreement goals. These city-only working groups provide for honest knowledge and experience exchange, enabling cities to tap into the global expertise of their peers as well as connect with technical partners. Through networks, cities find opportunities to undertake joint projects in areas of mutual interest and benefit. C40 networks also amplify individual city solutions by providing a global platform for showcasing city successes. The result is that cities' climate actions to reduce GHGs, air pollutants and climate risks are bolder, fairer, more impactful, implemented faster and at a lower cost than if they were to go it alone. No other organisation facilitates such deep connections amongst city staff across 50+ countries, 20 time zones and 26 languages to accelerate local action with major global impact.
- The Programme Director will be jointly responsible for developing and implementing C40’s Transportation and Urban Planning programme, with the co-Director of Transport and Urban Planning, who works 2.5 days a week.
- He/she will manage part of the Transport and Urban Planning team and have oversight over a growing budget to deliver transformative change in key areas for climate action in C40 cities. An energetic and delivery-focused individual, he/she will work with the team to consolidate delivery and results, manage funder relationships, fundraise to expand the programme, and develop critical partnerships.
- He/she will be an effective manager, strategist and collaborator to build strong connections within C40, and with key C40 stakeholders.
What You're Gonna Do
- Ensure the successful delivery of the Transport and Urban Planning Programme (T&UP) including tracking and reporting on results of networks and projects.
- Deliver the TUP programme as set out in the business plan for 2020 and develop and implement a 2021-2024 strategy and workplan consistent with C40’s T&UP goals, key performance indicators and Paris Agreement targets.
- Oversee a portfolio of projects worth over $1 million per annum funded by restricted grants.
- Manage multiple network and programme managers.
- Support cities to deliver the Green and Healthy Streets (Fossil Fuel Free Streets) Declaration, through relevant projects on zero emission areas, zero emission vehicles, freight, and buses, and track results through reporting process.
- Lead fundraising as required, working closely with the co-Programme Director of Transport and Urban Planning, Management Team and Director of Global Initiatives to grow the programme in strategic areas.
Manage restricted grants, and oversee delivery within scope, budget and timeframe.
- Report to the Director of Global Initiatives, Management Team, Programme Management Office, the Board and funders on budget, KPIs and results.
- Brief and prepare presentations for the Director of Global Initiatives, the Executive Director, funders and other senior stakeholders as required.
- Lead engagement with other C40 teams to deliver the T&UP Programme’s and C40’s overall objectives, including the Air Quality Programme, the Adaptation programme, Deadline 2020 programme, Finance programme, C40 Cities Finance Facility, Business, Data & Innovation programme, Research and Knowledge Management programme, Regions and Communications and Events teams.
Lead engagement with key global multilateral partners at a senior level, including COP26 planning, and representing C40 on T&UP in public fora.
- Work with senior city officials and deputy mayors as needed to enable ambitious and accelerated delivery of climate action.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Significant programme management experience, including oversight of multiple concurrent cross- team projects.
- Significant experience managing and motivating staff.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and delivering and reporting on funding agreements, including contract and budget management.
- Proven track record of working effectively with global partners, such as NGOs, the corporate sector, and international institutions.
- Strong problem-solving, interpersonal and strategic thinking capabilities coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach required.
- Knowledge of zero emission urban transport policies, in particular electric vehicle policies and solutions, preferably through working in or with city governments.
- International experience, particularly working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the United Kingdom. Some travel may be required as part of the role.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.