ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
ICLEI´s Low Emission Development Pathway is implemented by all ICLEI Offices through a wide range of projects and initiatives. This Pathway is coordinated by ICLEI’s Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting (carbonn® Climate Center), which focuses on 4 main action areas:
(i) Managing global platforms to serve local and regional governments, such as the online Solutions Gateway, the carbonn® Climate Registry (cCR) which collects self-reported climate data of subnational governments in cooperation with CDP, and providing services such as Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) of local climate action.
(ii) Providing policy and technical assistance on integrated climate action to local and regional governments, to accelerate climate action in cities, towns and regions, using ICLEI’s GreenClimateCitiesTM Program, offering tools and guidance.
(iii) Offering networking and peer exchange opportunities, for example at the ICLEI World Congresses and thematic workshops on a diverse range of topics, including 100% renewable energy and multilevel governance.
(iv) Engaging in climate advocacy on behalf of cities and regions, supporting ICLEI’s role as focal point of the Local Governments and Municipal Authorities (LGMA) constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
We work in a multicultural, international environment with colleagues and partners around the globe. We seek a highly motivated, pro-active and experienced candidate for the position of: Junior Officer, Climate & Energy Action.
The successful candidate will be a part of the ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany.
What You're Gonna Do
Support project coordination on climate and energy projects. Including dealing with website updates, contributing to the development of knowledge products (case studies, solutions) and newsletters, as well as drafting reports and compiling key messages reflecting project impact and outcomes.
- Support the management of the Solutions Gateway, an online platform where guidance is provided to subnational governments on how local climate action. The platform is being expanded with new solutions and cases being added. Further, user management and support will be part of the tasks allocated.
- Support research on urban sustainable development, for example identifying the needs of selected cities for further capacity building and technical guidance on selected topics.
- Support the promotion of the CDP-ICLEI unified reporting system, and the development of tutorials and guidance to local and regional governments on how to improve reporting on climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as access to sustainable energy (renewable energy, energy efficiency), working in close cooperation with ICLEI Offices around the globe.
- Support the promotion of ICLEI’s Low Emissions Development pathway and its associated offer of support to local and regional governments, and engaging in ad hoc tasks as needed.
- Support project acquisition to further develop ICLEI’s international climate project portfolio.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience, including relevant internships, working with energy and/or climate change issues, ideally with an understanding on the role of local and regional governments in tackling climate change.
- Experience working with non-for-profit and/or membership organizations is highly desirable.
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject such as in Political Science, Urban Development, Human Geography, Environmental Science, or similar. A relevant Masters or PhD degree is an asset.
- Strong skills in research, analytical thinking, reporting, and concise writing required.
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset, especially French, Spanish, Portuguese and/or Chinese.
The successful candidate:
- is dedicated to the team focus in driving innovative, low carbon, resilient, resource-efficient, future-oriented urban infrastructure solutions,
- shows enthusiasm for local climate and sustainable energy action, and is particularly interested in research, writing, and curation of knowledge,
- is pro-active with an organized working method,
- shows excellence in communicating ICLEI’s message to public policy makers, municipal technical staff, business partners, and donors,
- is highly proficient in oral and written English;
- is open to learn the use of office and presentation software, as well as web content management.
What We Offer
- The position is available from 1 August 2020 or soon thereafter, at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
- The contract will have a limited duration for 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
- Workings hours: 40 per week
- 30 days of paid leave per year
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
- International travel will be required. Communication with partners around the world may require work outside of normal office hours.
- The Junior Officer reports to the Head of Climate & Energy Action and to the Director of the carbonn Climate Center (also in her capacity as Interim Head of the Research Team).
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.