ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
To support the Circular Development team we are offering the following position: Officer, Circular Development
The successful candidate will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany and will be placed within the Circular Development team.
ICLEI has identified Circular Development as one of its five integrated pathways towards sustainable urban development, and promotes sustainable urban ecosystems where material loops are closed, and the value of resources is efficiently maximized by applying the circular approach - Redesign, Reuse, Repair, Remanufacture, Recycle and Recover.
What You're Gonna Do
- Acting as officer to engage in the strategic and operational implementation of projects in the Circular Development Team with a focus on China relations including the Urban Transitions Alliance for industrial legacy cities, CLEVER Cities and the Green Circular Cities Coalition;
- Coordinating the activities of the Urban Transition Alliance Secretariat with a special focus on the management of relations with the Chinese member cities of the Alliance network in coordination with the ICLEI East Asia Secretariat;
- Developing collaboration concepts and work plans in line with the Urban Transitions Alliance project objectives;
- Coordinating the identification and support for annual Challenges by the Urban Transition Alliance member cities particularly those located in China including research on their needs and requirements;
- Engaging with the Chinese member cities and local partners by facilitation of calls and webinars as well as development of strategies for their effective engagement;
- Assisting the development of network activities for Chinese cities to support the cities in analyzing their circularity, acting on being circular, and accelerating and up-scaling the circular transition;
- Research, content development and acquisition in the field of circular development with a focus on equity and social inclusion;
- Developing knowledge products and communications assets such as case studies, blog posts, news items;
- Supporting events planning and organization, including moderation and discussion facilitation.
- Minimum 2 years of experience, including relevant internships, working with circular economy, resource efficiency and inclusive governance issues, ideally with an understanding of the role of local and regional governments in transition to sustainability;
- Experience working with non-for-profit and/or membership organizations is highly desirable;
- Master or equivalent degree in sustainability, urban studies or other relevant field;
- Languages: High proficiency in oral / written English and Mandarin;
- Strong experience in project design and implementation of international projects;
- Proactive communication manner and collaborative working style;
- Event management and moderation experience desirable;
- Good communications and writing skills;
- Quick learner and multi-tasking skills.
What We Offer
- The position will be available as soon as possible, latest as of 1 September 2020 with a contract duration until 31 August 2021 with possibility of extension;
- The Officer reports directly to the Head of Circular Development;
- Three month probation period;
- The employment contract will be subject to German law;
- Salary: 34,653 – 37,618 EUR (full time) before tax and social insurance fees, with the final salary to be determined based on the chosen applicant’s skills and experience;
- Working hours: 30 (part time) to 40 per week (full time) negotiable;
- Paid leave: 30 days per year (full time);
- Working language: English;
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
This job is available for international candidates.