C40 connects more than 90 of the world’s greatest cities. It is focused on tackling climate change and driving urban action that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while increasing the health, wellbeing and economic opportunities of urban citizens.
About the Role
C40 is establishing a programme of technical assistance, guidance and training to member cities in Latin America to (a) build technical capacity to develop ambitious and robust long-term climate action plans that are compatible with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement, and (b) identify mechanisms to facilitate better national and local integration of climate action. Sub-national activity is key to delivering the Paris Agreement, particularly in Latin America which is urbanising faster than any other region in the world. To coordinate this programme on the ground, we are recruiting a City Adviser for selected C40 cities in Latin America.
The C40 City Adviser will act as the focal point for long-term climate action planning within the city, in collaboration with the team at the Secretary of Environment (SVMA, for its name in Portuguese) or other municipal units of the City Government of São Paulo. S/he will be responsible for supporting the engagement of internal and external stakeholders; facilitating knowledge transfer across the city and the wider C40 network; and working with C40 and consultants to provide high-quality tailored technical assistance to support locally-led efforts.
Technical assistance provided will need to be comprehensive and may consist of: a review of the city’s existing plan(s) and capacity and national level climate commitments; scenario modelling; sector-level roadmaps; climate risk assessments; stakeholder engagement; access to climate finance; and monitoring and evaluation.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in carbon accounting and/or climate risk assessments, climate action planning and stakeholder engagement; experience working with cities on climate action planning; and excellent project management and communication skills.
What You're Gonna Do
Working closely with São Paulo, the Head of Climate Action Planning for Latin America and C40’s Regional Director for Latin America, the City Advisor will develop and implement a delivery strategy to support São Paulo in developing / updating an ambitious and robust climate action plan that is compliant with the goals of the Paris Agreement. Main areas of responsibility are:
- Contribute to updating the city’s climate action planning, in collaboration with the team at the Secretary of Environment (SVMA, for its name in Portuguese) or other municipal units of the City Government of São Paulo, to deliver mitigation and adaptation outcomes, inclusive low-carbon resilient development consistent with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement;
- Support the engagement of internal and external stakeholders on the review and update of the city’s climate action planning to ensure their commitment to resource and implement ambitious and transformational action and facilitate better national and local integration of climate mitigation activities;
- Support the management of consultants and the coordination of technical assistance, in alignment with the SVMA or other municipal units, with the aim to build city capacity to implement climate action;
- Facilitate the city’s engagement in C40 Cities networks and initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience in government, business or NGO sectors with a focus on sustainability and/or climate change, and substantive experience working with or within municipal governments;
- Technical expertise in completing city-wide greenhouse gas emission inventories, climate risk assessments and developing climate action plans;
- Excellent project-management, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities, with MS Excel experience and data management skills;
- Demonstrable problem-solving, budget and people management experience, including working with third party delivery teams, and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks;
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and written and verbal communication skills, combined with English and Portuguese fluency;
- Strong stakeholder engagement experience, as well as experience in developing or facilitating webinars and workshops;
- International experience, working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
Applicants must already have the right to work in Brazil. Moderate travel may be required as part of the role. This position is based on São Paulo, city that in turn will provide a work space in the institution that the city will define.
What We Offer
Fixed Term Contract - until September 2020.
C40 is an equal opportunities employer.
Although the job requires joint collaboration with the City Government of São Paulo, and can be carried out within its facilities, accepting this position does not imply a work relationship or labor contract between the City Government of São Paulo and the selected candidate.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.