C40 connects more than 90 of the world’s greatest cities. It is focused on tackling climate change and driving urban action that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while increasing the health, wellbeing and economic opportunities of urban citizens.
About the Role
The C40 Communications, Campaigns and Events team is responsible for strategically positioning C40 as one of the world’s most impactful climate organizations. This includes celebrating the ambitious, equitable action underway in C40 cities and establishing our mayors as global leaders and allies to the new climate movement, supporting them to deliver ambitious climate action in their cities and to advocate for global solutions the world needs. Through our global communications, campaigns and events, we aim to shift the narrative and inspire real progress on the greatest challenge humanity is facing today. The team houses specialists in campaigns, media, digital, content, and events.
C40 is partnering with a unique group of global organisations, including TED, YouTube and Global Citizen on a transformational climate campaign. Countdown is a global initiative to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis, turning ideas into action. The goal: To build a better future by cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 in the race to a zero-carbon world – a world that is safer, cleaner and fairer for everyone.
We are bringing together mayors, scientists, activists, entrepreneurs, urban planners, farmers, CEOs, investors, artists, government officials, and others to find the most effective, evidence-based ideas out there. Our goal is to identify the bold solutions that can be activated when people break out of their silos and rise to the challenge.
C40 mayors are committed to and are implementing world-leading, science-based climate policies to respond to the climate emergency, addressing the most significant sources of emissions in cities within this decade. From creating zero emissions zones in city centres, to passing zero carbon building laws or banning single-use plastic and moving towards zero waste, mayors are creating the future we need, now.
C40 is leading the city track of the Countdown campaign and the Senior Communications Manager will work with cities around the world to ensure these urban climate solutions are integral to the Countdown story.
The Senior Communications Manager will support C40 mayors to engage with local TEDx Countdown events being hosted in their cities, providing unique opportunities to showcase their climate leadership to engaged local audiences. They will also play a leading role in delivering the Countdown Summit, Edinburgh in October 2021, a key milestone on the road to COP26.
The Senior Communications Manager will support the Head of Media and colleagues across the organisation to use the Countdown campaign to galvanize increased climate ambition amongst cities around the world.
What You're Gonna Do
- Liaise with senior city officials and mayors’ teams to secure the highest possible number of C40 cities to join the Countdown campaign
- Co-ordinate with C40 colleagues and partners to ensure the opportunities presented by the Countdown campaign motivates more cities around the world to commit to increased climate ambition, in support of the Paris Agreement goals.
- Co-ordinate with the C40 Chair’s Office to ensure Countdown provides a powerful global platform to demonstrate the climate leadership of the C40 Chair.
- Co-ordinate with priority C40 cities, including Vice Chairs, to ensure local TEDx events are particularly impactful events demonstrating the climate leadership of C40 Vice Chairs.
- Support delivery of city outreach strategy, including to cities outside C40, as an integral part of C40’s overall COP26 strategy to reach beyond C40 members.
- Work with TEDx on developing materials and systems to support C40 cities throughout their participation in the Countdown campaign and in delivering Countdown TEDx events. Capture the learning from this process, to allow C40 to deliver multiple, networked events each year.
- Lead on securing compelling content, climate solutions and participation by C40 mayors and cities at the Countdown Conference in Edinburgh.
- Provide overall coordination with all city networks and ensure city networks & cities are represented on relevant Countdown campaign working groups.
- Ensure the Countdown Programme is fully integrated into C40’s overall communications and strategic objectives.
- Share responsibility for the delivery of C40’s flagship project in 2020/21 to recruit 1,000 cities in committing to a 1.5C climate Action Plan
- Assist and participate in relevant Countdown meetings, providing the perspective of C40 and our member cities.
- A minimum of 8 years communications and campaigns experience in fast-paced global organisations. - Experience working in city government and/or the climate field strongly preferred.
- Excellent understanding of how to communicate with city officials and convince cities to engage with a major new campaign.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in an engaging way to a variety of target groups.
- Experienced project and budget manager, capable of keeping a complex and multi-faceted project on track, working towards a highly visible and immovable deadline.
- Experience working hands-on with high level international agendas and VIPs.
- Experience leading delivery of major international events.
- Substantial interest in the climate change agenda and environmental policy
- Ability to work autonomously, flexibly and proactively. Experience of independently representing your team and/or organisation in meetings with high level stakeholders.
- Proven ability to exercise excellent political judgement in fast-moving situations
- Experience of developing partnerships with key individuals and organisations and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent team player and collaborator with strong relationship management and ambassadorial skills.
- Strong ability to motivate, engage and inspire internally and externally.
- Proven ability to work across different languages, cultures and time zones.
- Management experience and a track record of encouraging personal and professional development of more junior staff members
What We Offer
Other Requirements: Applicants must already have the right to work in South Africa, UK, US or city of application. Some travel will be required as part of the role (COVID-19 dependant).
Location: Johannesburg, London or New York. Other locations will be considered for the right candidate.
Term: Fixed Term – until December 2021
- Johannesburg: $742,823 ZAR gross per annum
- London: £49,674 GBP gross per annum
- New York: $73,076 USD gross per annum
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.