C40 connects more than 90 of the world’s greatest cities. It is focused on tackling climate change and driving urban action that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks, while increasing the health, wellbeing and economic opportunities of urban citizens.
About the Role
The Inclusive Climate Action (ICA) Programme was established at the behest of a group of C40 mayors for C40’s business plan 2017-2020. The programme focuses on supporting mayors and cities to ensure local climate policies and initiatives are designed in an inclusive way and have equitable impacts, as a way to make the case for bold climate action and maximize its benefits across urban populations. The programme aims at delivering leadership and advocacy support, technical and strategic assistance, training and peer-to-peer exchange on assessing and understanding the wider benefits of climate action; increasing capacity to engage inhabitants and stakeholders; and designing inclusive and just climate strategies.
The C40 Inclusive Climate Action (ICA) City Advisor will act as the focal point for the city for the delivery and implementation of support provided by C40’s new GGND initiative.
What You're Gonna Do
- Lead and support the development, identification and tracking of relevant city-based work including setting impact goal(s), work plans (incl. typology of support needed), coalition building/stakeholder engagement efforts and benefits assessments;
- Lead in the assessment of mayoral and city government powers (city resilience, economic growth, social justice) related to the key areas of work;
- Support the identification of the city’s sister city(ies) that the city will engage with (through ICA Academies and in-person and virtual convenings) on building the resilience of frontline communities through action within key climate sectors;
- Actively participate and, where relevant, support in the development and delivery of key technical assistance; peer-to-peer learning; online resources, knowledge products and content production; study visits; diplomacy/advocacy strategy development; strategic communications through in-person and virtual events that will include:
- A training of trainers for all ICA City Advisors;
- ICA Academies and Workshop/s with wider cohorts of cities;
- Peer-to-peer webinars;
- City-based coalition-building workshop/s.
- Manage and support the identification, procurement and follow-up of local consultancies and their work with the aim to build city capacity to implement inclusive climate action with an emphasis on benefits assessments related to building the resilience of frontline communities;
- Support the city in key stakeholder engagement and inclusion strategies related to specific climate action/s identified with the city on the basis of their Climate Action Plan
- Engage internal and external stakeholders to ensure their commitment to resource and implement ambitious and transformational action and facilitate better national and local integration of inclusive climate mitigation and adaptation activities;
- Facilitate the city’s engagement in C40 Cities networks and initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience in government, business or NGO sectors with a focus on equity and inclusion, sustainability and/or climate change, and substantive experience working with or within municipal governments;
- Technical expertise in inclusive climate action planning, delivery and monitoring
- Expertise in stakeholder engagement
- Thorough understanding and familiarity with the city’s Climate Action Plan (CAP) will be an asset
- Excellent project-management, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities;
- Demonstrable problem-solving, budget and people management experience, including working with third party delivery teams, and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks;
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and written and verbal communication skills, combined with English fluency; knowledge and understanding of local languages are an asset
- Strong stakeholder engagement, convening and facilitation experience, as well as experience in developing or facilitating webinars and workshops;
- Capacity to work across different cultures, languages and time zones.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.