The nonprofit Urban Institute is dedicated to elevating the debate on social and economic policy. For nearly five decades, Urban scholars have conducted research and offered evidence-based solutions that improve lives and strengthen communities across a rapidly urbanizing world. Their objective research helps expand opportunities for all, reduce hardship among the most vulnerable, and strengthen the effectiveness of the public sector.
About the Role
The Center on International Development and Governance (IDG) is seeking a motivated researcher to work collaboratively on a large effort related to urban development and governance and international aid. The project is focused on building upon and expanding the body of evidence-based knowledge and integrated programming in the urban space through rigorous impact and performance evaluations, research and analysis, and possibly through targeted pilot activities in selected countries.
The researcher will also support other projects in IDG’s portfolio on urban-service delivery, gender rights, governance and innovation and violence. These projects include the conceptualization of research and evaluation designs and methodologies, literature and evidence reviews, statistical analyses, and report and policy brief writing for diverse audiences.
What You're Gonna Do
- Review and evaluate prior research to provide insight and write literature reviews for proposals, briefs, and project reports
- Assemble and analyze quantitative data and produce tables and graphics as needed
- Prepare interview and focus group protocols, manage recruitment, and lead and support research team in collecting qualitative data through site visits and phone data collection
- Analyze qualitative data to draw out key themes using qualitative data software (NVIVO, AtlasTi)
- Assist in the development and administration of surveys and questionnaires
- Contribute to presentations, reports, articles, policy briefs, blogs and other written materials
- Plan and prepare for substantive interactions with researchers, policymakers, and government officials
- Possess the academic knowledge of a discipline that is generally associated with the attainment of a Master's Degree in Urban Planning or Policy, Economics, International Affairs, International Development, or applied Economics and 1-2 years experience or a B.A in related field plus at least four years of related professional experience
- Demonstrate prior experience with data management and analysis using statistical software (Stata, R, SAS, and/or SPSS)
- Conduct research or analysis in public or private organizations
- Utilize superior communications skills interact with senior-level leaders in the international development field
- Display creativity, be reliable, motivated, and positive
- Have a willingness and ability to travel
- Previous experience working on USAID projects is preferred as well as foreign language proficiency in one or more languages is preferred.
What We Offer
Working in the Nation’s Capital, the epicenter of public policy among a network of policy experts, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about and work with great colleagues who are smart, mission-driven, and collaborative. You will blend academic rigor with on-the-ground collaboration, be encouraged and supported to fulfill your potential through meaningful work that matters, and enjoy a welcoming workplace free from harassment, discrimination and intolerance.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage. Competitive paid time off allowance, and eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan and reimbursable commuting expense program.
The Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.