ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
The ICLEI Africa and ICLEI CBC team
Our work is conducted by a dynamic and passionate team of well qualified and highly skilled professionals that work with cities to ensure a more sustainable future. As an office that deeply cares for the cities it works with, the team adheres to a strong set of values. There is a culture and ethos of openness and sharing, where staff are always willing to support each other where they can. There is diversity of skills and experiences in our team of well over 40 staff that spans from those that have worked in research, carrying Masters and Doctorate degrees, to those that are experienced practitioners in the fields of urban planning, economics, sustainability, environmental science and engineering, as well as communications. Given the number of languages spoken across the African continent and globally, ICLEI Africa has many bilingual and multilingual staff, and also supports staff development in adding more languages to their repertoire.
ICLEI Africa has the pleasure to invite suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African and Cities Biodiversity Center teams of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
ICLEI Internship (12-month fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
In line with our commitment to support youth development, ICLEI Africa invites recent graduates to apply for an internship position at ICLEI, joining our African and global Cities Biodiversity Center teams of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
Successful candidates must have a keen interest in pursuing work in urban development; economics; systems thinking; socio-technical systems; communications, promotions and marketing, to work at the city and city-region level. Interns are also selected based on their ability and keen interest to effectively and creatively communicate technical subjects to diverse audiences. ICLEI Africa Is Seeking Candidates a Wide Range Of Subjects Related To Urban Sustainability, Including
- Social Justice and Equity
- Finance for Sustainability
- Climate Change
- Nature-based Solutions
- Urban Biodiversity
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Coastal Systems
- Circular Economy
- Systems thinking and systems approaches
- Food, Water and Energy Systems
- Co-production Methodologies
- Research, Innovation and Experimentation
- Development Planning
- Urban Policy and Governance
- Urban Visioning, Futuring and Storytelling
- Communications, Marketing and Promotion
- Online Communication Systems
Strong candidates should be delivery and results-orientated; as well as have a strong city/local government and multi-level governance orientation and focus.
- Relevant Diploma, Graduate or Master’s degree related to sustainability, climate, urban nature, infrastructure, urban planning, development, communications, marketing or associated field;
- Experience with desktop research, data collection and analysis approaches and methodologies, and the ability to conceptualise and implement projects;
- Strong analytical abilities; able to apply research and practice methodologies to analyse date for relevance to cities in Africa and beyond;
- Ability to lead and support planning and implementation of projects and events with proven experience of working in, multi-disciplinary project teams, and in certain instances, undertaking applied research;
- A keen desire to learn, experiment, and push knowledge boundaries;
- Aptitude for working with numbers, and proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to write succinctly and with clarity, articulating complex work simply;
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in a record of well-respected grey literature and/or peer reviewed publications will be an added advantage;
- Ability to communicate sustainability concepts utilising various communication tools, such as articles, videos and social media; and
- Innovative individual with a ‘çan do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally.
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, Global South/ developing contexts, as well as knowledge of African and global geo-political contexts;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI;
- Able to liaise with high-level technical and political staff within government tiers, respecting cultural norms and practices;
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure;
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style;
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills;
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience;
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit;
- Able to engage successful using remote platforms and tools;
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally (within obvious limitations such as through the current Covid-19 pandemic); and
- Proficiency in another global language, especially Arabic, French, Swahili or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.