The United Nations Development Programme works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
About the Role
UNDP Philippines seeks to create a roster of consultants for the Accelerator Lab-Philippines, which could be used to hire consultants on a need basis. A specific Terms of Reference will determine the scope of work and the selection of experts from the vetted roster for each of the assignments.
The roster of urban specialists shall support the UNDP Philippines’ sustainable cities agenda by providing in-depth advice analysis and guidance on supporting innovation systems within city local governments.
Specifically, the consultant will be required to do the following:
1. Orientation and consultations with city Iocal governments, academia and the Development Academy of the Philippine on the concept and operations of city innovation labs.
- Present a first approach to the experience of city innovation labs, creating a common ground, shared vocabulary, and a collective reflection on new possibilities in the context of participatory urban governance.
- Give an initial understanding of the potential for experimental and participatory practices within the context of complex and dynamic societies.
- Surface and explore potential partnerships for the UNDP Accelerator Lab program.
2. Public seminar on city innovation labs for academia civil society, the private sector and UN/UNDP staff.
- Present social interest surrounding lab practices: an experimental and creative approach to the public realm and its challenges.
- Have the event function as a self-selecting process to identify possible future collaborators and new talent for UNDP, through the Accelerator Lab.
- Facilitate discussions about the possibilities of reinvigorated urban planning and human-centered services.
- Identify potential long-term academic and expert partners.
3. Co-design framework for establishing city innovation labs in the Philippines.
- Conduct training to the Accelerator Lab through the co-design of a framework to establish city innovation labs with the view of identifying foundational principles, design and initial operations, governance arrangements, collaboration ecosystems, mechanisms for full societal inclusion and the promotion of interdisciplinary approaches.
- Provide mentorship to the Accelerator Lab and city innovation lab stakeholders.
Governance and accountability
The Consultants will work under the primary supervision of the Senior Policy Advisor or, depending on the initiative, appropriate project manager. The deliverables will be reviewed and approved by the Senior Policy Advisor, or appropriate project manager, as per the specific terms and conditions that will be agreed on during the selection of the candidate from the Roster.
Facilities to be provided by UNDP
UNDP Philippines will assign a work area for the Consultant and provide administrative and logistics service on a need basis.
Duration of assignment
Successful candidates will be placed under the roster for minimum of one (1) year. The roster duration may be extended for up to a maximum of three years depending on satisfactory performance and ongoing requirement.
Depending on specific requirements, the actual duration will be specified in the ICs Terms of Reference for each individual assignment.
The Consultant’s duty station can be arranged with a mix of remote and in country visits to UNDP Philippines Country Office, Rockwell Business Center Sheridan, Mandaluyong City, Philippines. The Consultant is not required to report on a daily basis at the Country Office. But in terms of handling capacity building sessions for staff, s/he is expected to report on a mutually agreed schedule, organize regular updates meetings with the Resident Representative and the Deputy Resident Representative and participate in Management Team meetings.
This job is available for international candidates.