Bax & Company is an open innovation consultancy. Planet-saving innovation is often enabled by progress coming from science and technology; getting these to actually impact society on a large scale invariably requires multi-actor strategising and collaboration.
About the Role
Bax & Company is a specialized consultancy that supports clients across Europe in transforming science and technology into real value. We work for large industrial corporations, high-tech smaller companies as well as for public authorities and research institutes. We support our clients by combining our knowledge, experience, methodology and network with a powerful drive to turn vision into reality in the complex world of partnering, emerging technologies, new market opportunities and shifting policy frameworks.
The actual work we do differs from one case to the next: creating R&D / innovation projects, supporting academic spin-off companies to get funded, preparing and guiding bigger industries in implementing Open Innovation strategies, creation and implementation of innovation policies, support in management, exploitation and communication of collaborative programs.
We principally work in high-tech fields related to global societal challenges such as energy-efficiency in buildings, lightweight and electric automobility, climate adaptation and green infrastructure, smart cities and open data, advanced materials and enabling disciplines such as industrial design and ICT.
The Project Consultant will be working at our Barcelona headquarters with fellow team members taking responsibility for acquisition, execution and management of consultancy assignments. You will work in the Data & Smart Cities team on a portfolio of assignments mostly related to digital transformation in cities and data innovation, including open data, open source, smart city services and blockchain projects (but not limited).
The focus of your work will lie in the creation and management of international business, R&D and innovation policy collaborations in public-private innovation and R&D partnerships, in most cases supported with some form of funding from the European Commission. You will help create new collaborations and programmes at the cutting edge of technology and new business in one or more of our focus areas. You will work these out into concrete partnership and conceptualizing convincing bids for collaborative R&D and innovation policy projects to obtain funding from European programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Interreg.
B&C often has a long-term role in project management, R&D results exploitation and communication in the project and programmes we create, which allows our consultants to obtain a thorough understanding of technologies, innovation policies and markets we work in. Our consultants apply this knowledge in more general business innovation consultancy assignments and government/ sector policy advice.
Generally you will be working in 2-3 small teams for several clients in parallel. Your activities will include occasional meetings at different client locations around Europe if the sanitary conditions allow it.
Required experience and skills
- Have 1-3 year(s) experience in related field (we seek a self-starting junior level consultant that can be onboarded quickly)
- Hold a BSc and a MSc degree in Business, innovation/technology management, engineering, science communication and/or policy analysis at a highly ranked university.
- Be fluent in English, both verbal and written, meaning being able to express your thoughts and insights rapidly, accurately and to the point, easily translating complex technical concepts into clear and compelling business language.
- Be able to work well autonomously, create and manage your workload (we offer and expect you to have a great deal of autonomy).
- Be a supportive team player, know how to work in small teams and share responsibilities.
- Be self-started and stress-resistant, with an eye for details while keeping your vision aligned with clients’ strategies.
- Even more important than qualifications and work experience is your ambition, ‘can do’ attitude and interpersonal skills, an eagerness to get things done. Be motivated to learn and grow.
Desirable experience and skills
- Work experience in the implementation and management of national and/or international R&D projects. Previous experience with European innovation programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Interreg will be highly valued.
- Dutch, Spanish, German and Catalan are highly valued, as well as other West European languages.
- Motivated taking the lead in setting up new projects with multiple clients and proactively acquiring new business from these.
- Previous experience in consultancy is a strong plus. Knowledge of innovation policy, blockchain technology, open data, open source or more broadly smart cities and digitalisation in cities/regions is very appreciated.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.