At Van Alen Institute, we believe design can transform cities, landscapes, and regions to improve people’s lives. We collaborate with communities, scholars, policymakers, and professionals on local and global initiatives that rigorously investigate the most pressing social, cultural, and ecological challenges of tomorrow. Building on more than a century of experience, we develop cross-disciplinary research, provocative public programs, and inventive design competitions.
About the Role
Van Alen seeks a highly skilled and collaborative Project Manager, Programs to lead assigned community engagement and urbanism initiatives. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Project Manager will work closely with communities to create public spaces that support social cohesion in New York City and the region at large. The Project Manager should be detail-oriented, a great communicator, and a strategic problem solver with experience managing budgets, timelines, and logistics. The Project Manager should have high levels of energy and initiative, a collaborative spirit, and experience engaging diverse stakeholders, from community members to government leaders.
What You're Gonna Do
- Develop and implement user research, participatory research, community engagement, and/or community organizing strategies, including data analysis and communication of related information
- Identify, develop, and collaborate with interdisciplinary design teams to create innovative solutions to pressing issues
- Manage diverse partners including community members, key partners, electeds, government administrations, and philanthropic organizations, ensuring all are informed, aligned, and excited as projects progress
- Oversee development of projects from initiation to completion, including development and monitoring of project scope, timeline, budgets, contracts, event management, developing agendas, run of shows, managing vendors, and supporting with outreach
- Draft RFQs, reports, scopes of work, and other communication materials for a diverse audience
- Collaborate with internal communications and development teams
- Oversee information tracking for project documentation, evaluation, and reporting
- Manage administrative and organizational tasks for each project such as arranging travel and accommodation, taking minutes, preparing research and documents, and maintaining records
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum five years of experience successfully developing, launching, and implementing urbanism projects
- Strong project management skillset with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and manage budgets with multiple funding streams
- Experience managing diverse stakeholders including community members, municipalities, philanthropies, and designers
- Experience with participatory design, urban planning, policy, design-thinking, community engagement or related field
- Experience with user research, participatory research, and/or community engagement practices
- Experience supporting and facilitating interdisciplinary design teams to develop innovative and compelling solutions
- Experience drafting content for a wide audience including reports, key-findings, briefs, and web materials
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with staff at all organizational levels and to interact professionally with internal and external stakeholders in person and via telephone and email communication
- A commitment to advancing social equity and inclusive design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, and Monday.com
What We Offer
The salary range for this position is $65,000-70,000 annually. Generous benefits are provided at no extra cost to employee. Contribution is required for dependents. Van Alen is an equal opportunity employer.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.