Founded in 1831, NYU is one of the world’s foremost research universities and is a member of the selective Association of American Universities. The first Global Network University, NYU has degree-granting university campuses in New York and Abu Dhabi, and has announced a third in Shanghai; has a dozen other global academic sites, including London, Paris, Florence, Tel Aviv, Buenos Aires, and Accra; and sends more students to study abroad than any other U.S. college or university. Through its numerous schools and colleges, NYU conducts research and provides education in the arts and sciences, law, medicine, business, dentistry, education, nursing, the cinematic and performing arts, music and studio arts, public administration, social work, and continuing and professional studies, among other areas.
About the Role
C2SMART Center, a USDOT University Transportation Center based at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, is seeking a Research Associate to lead a growing portfolio of research projects being conducted at the center. C2SMART has a diverse array of USDOT- and other-funded projects in the area of connected vehicles, intelligent transportation systems (ITS), and other big data analytics in support of emerging technologies and their applications to solve transportation/mobility challenges. Recently, the Center entered into an agreement with the New York State Department of Transportation to provide on-call research in meeting the transportation goals of NY State.
This candidate will lead/oversee the successful execution of tasks and deliverables on a diverse array of projects while supporting Center faculty, staff, and student researchers. Broadly, the Research Associate will lead or support the following tasks:
- Data analysis, modeling, statistical analysis of transportation systems and travelers, particularly within New York
- Working with partners/sponsors in transportation engineering tasks such as administering surveys, recording and collecting data, participating in field tests, and deploying and testing new equipment such as sensors, V2V/I/X communication devices, or similar
- Lead specific tasks that require creation and calibration of simulation models, development of performance measures, and studying and understanding trends and relationships from big datasets
- Documenting research activity and disseminating/presenting key findings and research activity to sponsors and partners via presentations, written reports, and other deliverables required
This position provides an excellent opportunity to work at the cutting edge of transportation planning and engineering research, with exposure to current and anticipated challenges transportation agencies and companies are facing in the New York-area. The successful candidate will have a wide-range of exposure to various transportation tools and emerging technologies, as well as experience developing and implementing new products and solutions into practice. C2SMART’s activity goes beyond the academic setting, and this position will be critical to bringing advances in technology into the real world.
Minimum required qualifications:
- A master’s degree in civil engineering, transportation, urban studies, or related, from an accredited college with at least 2+ years of experience in transportation
- First-hand experience conducting data analysis on large-scale transportation or urban datasets with knowledge of both traditional and emerging data storage technologies (e.g. cloud-based, unstructured, etc.)
- Knowledge of basic transportation concepts and intelligent transportation systems (ITS) technologies
- Experience with technical writing and documentation of engineering/data science projects
- A Ph.D. in transportation engineering
- Experience or knowledge of simulation and modeling software such as SUMO, MATSim, Aimsun, TransCAD, CUBE, VISSIM, or similar
- A proven ability to write or edit code in Python, C++, or similar
- Experience experimenting with different desktop/mobile applications in support of research projects
- Experience with computer vision and/or other video analytics tools
- Knowledge of New York-area transportation systems and agencies and/or USDOT programs and goals
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.