ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
This is an opportunity to join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability a leading global network of 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future. Through our collective efforts, we impact more than 25 percent of the global urban population. ICLEI Europe, based in Freiburg, Germany, provides its members with a voice on the European and international stage, a platform to connect with peers, and tools to drive positive environmental, economic and social change. We are a growing organisation that offers exciting opportunities, with a competitive salary, staff appreciation days and recognises the effort and achievement of all its employees.
The European Secretariat of ICLEI seeks to fill the position of Circular Economy Officer within its Sustainable Economy and Procurement team. ICLEI’s Sustainable Economy and Procurement team has been at the forefront of the sustainable, circular, strategic and innovation procurement topic globally for over 20 years. In more recent years our work has expanded to cover the topics of circular economy and sustainable financing. Our work supports public authorities in implementation, raising awareness, developing new approaches, capacity building and encouraging policy developments at the European and international level. We are looking for a person who has an understanding of, and experience in, the field of circular economy, and how the circular transition can help in meeting the environmental, social and economic goals of public authorities.
What You're Gonna Do
- Develop and implement international and European projects and initiatives that support public authorities wanting to implement circular economy practices.
- Develop ICLEI’s knowledge in the field of circular economy – on the levers available to local governments to facilitate the circular transition, on the key challenges to implementation, and understanding how ICLEI can best support this process.
- To deepen ICLEI’s experience, knowledge and portfolio of activities in relation to one or more material flow/value chain, such as biowaste, textiles or plastics, including effective strategies open to local governments to tackle these areas.
- Facilitate networking, knowledge sharing, collaboration and best practice exchange between local governments and other actors.
- Expand ICLEI’s network of contacts with local and regional governments on the topic of circular economy.
- Carry out a variety of project-specific tasks in the fields of circular economy, including, but not limited to:
- Writing briefing documents, guidance, reports and case studies
- Organising workshops, meetings and events
- Undertaking research
- Managing relationships with partner organisations
- Supporting communications and outreach work
- Represent ICLEI at events, and help develop strategic relationships with relevant external organisations on the topic of circular economy.
- Design creative workshops and events that encourage people to participate, learn and network.
- Identify funding opportunities and write project proposals.
- A degree in a relevant subject such as Environmental Sciences, International Development, Natural Sciences, Natural Resource Management, Engineering or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience, relevant to the application of circular economy principles in the public sector.
- A comprehensive understanding of the topic of circular economy, and the relevance and influence of local governments in driving the circular transition.
- Interest and ability to work on a variety of topics linked to circular economy, sustainable/ innovation procurement and sustainable finance.
- Ability to be well organised, prioritise tasks and produce good quality work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- A very good command of English (reading, writing and speaking). Additional European language(s) an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, e.g. drafting reports and delivering presentations.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of external organisations.
- Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience of working on international and European projects.
- Deeper knowledge of one or more specific material flows/value chains.
What We Offer
- Limited 2 year contract.
- Corridor contract 80-100% with a gross salary according to Project Officer in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR 47.400 € to 51.600 per annum for 100%).
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany.
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum.
- Working language: English.
- Readiness for frequent international travel.
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.