About the Programme
‘The Laboratory’ Visiting School will bring together architects, artists, designers and researchers to imagine what life in the future will be like, through an exploration of our social, cultural and technological present. It will be based at the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design, one of the oldest and biggest art schools in Germany, adjacent to the renowned Weissenhof Estate, an ambitious prototype for future ways of living and an experimental showcase. We use collective forms of teaching and learning and will work with fine art photographers and screenwriters to capture emerging glimpses of life in the near future. We will carry out observational research, digital photography, image production and image manipulation, as well as creative and structured writing. Our work will be documented in a publication and shown in an exhibition. A series of field trips will give participants the opportunity to explore centres of innovation in and around Stuttgart, a region with an unusual concentration of research facilities and a leader in artificial intelligence.
**Prominent Features of the workshop/ skills developed**
- Understanding of current developments, socially, culturally, spatially and technologically and their possible impact onto our shared future
- Understanding of the limits and possibilities of architecture in this context
- Development of an awareness of the culture and politics of images
- Development of observational skills and sensitivities
- Development of the ability to construct a narrative through images and written text
- Introduction to methods of fast paced and structured research
- Introduction to digital fine art photography, image production, manipulation and reception, technically and culturally
- Introduction to creative writing and narrative building
- Working and communicating with experts from other fields
- Guest lecturers and critics from different disciplinary fields
- Programme of visits
- Production of a book and an exhibition
1) You can make an application by completing the online application found under ‘Links and Downloads’ on the AA Visiting School page. If you are not able to make an online application, email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions to pay by bank transfer.
2) Once you complete the online application and make a full payment, you are registered to the programme. A CV or a portfolio is not required.
The deadline for applications is eg: 23 August 2019
All participants travelling from abroad are responsible for securing any visa required, and are advised to contact their home embassy early. After payment of fees, the AA School can provide a letter confirming participation in the workshop.
Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste Stuttgart
Am Weißenhof 1
The AA Visiting School requires a fee of £695 per participant, which includes a £60 Visiting membership fee.
Early Bird places at the rate of £595 are availbale to students applying before 1 August 2019. Please email us at email@example.com to request your concession code.
Fees do not include flights or accommodation, but accommodation options can be advised. Students need to bring their own laptops, digital equipment and model making tools. Please ensure this equipment is covered by your own insurance as the AA takes no responsibility for items lost or stolen at the workshop.
The workshop is open to current architecture and design students, phd candidates and young professionals.
Unique, dynamic, independent and international, the Architectural Association School of Architecture was originally set up in 1847 as a public forum and learned society, in/famously founded by 'a pack of troublesome students'. The AA is much more than the UK's oldest school of architecture; the school is the nexus of a global conglomeration of contemporary architectural culture, as well as its pasts.