About the Programme
Sustainable-Sustainable Architecture is an English-taught one-year programme starting in autumn 2020 and is structured into online and presential lectures, seminars and practical workshops. The programme focuses on sustainable architecture practices both environmentally and financially. It combines 70 hours of theory with 210 hours of hands-on-experience bridging topics of sustainable construction, participatory design and social project management. The programme is initiated by Critical Concrete and assisted by guest lecturers and mentors with recognized experience.
Students will co-design and build real social projects in Portugal, as the course is embedded in a project aimed at refurbishing houses of low-income families and public spaces for local communities, funded by Portugal Inovação Social (PIS) and in collaboration with the municipality of Esposende and the Junta de Freguesia de Ramalde.
FOUR MAIN MODULES
- Sustainable Construction focuses on environmentally friendly building methods – natural and low-tech solutions – and the benefits of implementing a circular economy logic within construction.
- Human Settlement Development addresses the importance of rethinking how we build our cities and common spaces from an intersectional and inclusive perspective. Various kinds of occupation cases and environmentally friendly alternatives to the conventional urban lifestyle will be presented and discussed.
- Sustainable-Sustainable Projects reviews how to plan, fund and run a social project within a legal framework.
- Methodology embraces a design strategy consisting in researching vernacular techniques, and integrating them within today’s construction methods and engages in sociological and anthropological sciences applied to urbanism and architecture.
The practical work takes place across the four modules, applying the knowledge obtained during the (online-)tutoring to real case studies while also integrating the local community.
In an individual research paper at the end of the program the students have the opportunity to reflect on and document their learnings and experiences.
- A Graduate Degree or University BA + MA Degree in architecture or a comparable branch is recommended, but we offer the possibility to participate in the program for motivated individuals not holding an above mentioned degree awarding a certificate of participation.
- Good command of written and spoken English (equivalent to level B2)
- Good health conditions (if in doubt please contact us in advance)
- Strong interest in sustainable construction, solidary communities and social involvement
Critical Concrete sets up various educational formats centered around sustainable architecture and art in context, to refurbish abandoned places for social housing and cultural initiatives.